Thursday, March 7, 2019

Water

I'm sitting at a cafe with twenty minutes before having to pick up Orion from Kindy. So here I am poking the ridiculously small imaginary buttons on my phone. I have been feeling the need to say more about swimming. It's not just swimming. It's being suspended in large bodies of water that has always been so life giving to me. For most of the time in life, I feel as if I don't belong. Dont get me wrong, I am overall a happy positive person, but being honest, I often think that I wasn't made to be walking around on hard things, sitting on flat things, having to dodge, navigate, and interact with so many people on their own path, wishing I wasn't in their way. The noise, the expectations, the responsibility...the gravity: it was never meant for me. But when I step into the water, it is as if I am freed. It holds me, caresses me, converses with me and even argues with me. It loves me. The more I am in it, the more my muscles stretch out and all the tension and friction stored up in my body, moves out to my fingers and toes, and just dissipates and spreads evenly over the surface of the water, into an even nothingness. Water is so good. I have learned and grown to understand its nature. It personifies the full spectrum of emotion from day to day. And like any  proper human, I have learned to respect it's mood. Sometimes I stay out of its way. Most of the time it calls me, day and night. There have only been about two years of my life where I have not lived by the sea. Whenever my husband and I discuss moving to the country, I tell him if the place doesn't have an ocean, it doesn't exist for me. There is so much more I could write. But I have to go pick up my little boy. I believe that everyone should spend a bit more time in the water. Reverse the effects of gravity, and go back to the womb in the perfect expanse of water. Be free.

No comments: